To Have or Not to Have ..........


Once again I have been confronted with the question: one child or many?  Every day I drive past a grossly overweight woman sitting in the shade of a tree with her baby and toddler whilst her other three raggedy children (somewhere between the ages of 5 and 12) stand in the blazing sun at a robot, begging.  And I’ve tried to involve Child Welfare but their hands are tied and there is nothing they can do about this blatant child labour.

But be that as it may I still ponder the question: one child or many?  Séan and I made the decision when I was still pregnant with Jerry that we wouldn’t have more children and if I was able to go back I would make the same decision again in a heartbeat.  There is absolutely no way that we would be in a position to pay double the school fees that we are now paying and that’s just the tip of the iceberg: there are still clothes, uniforms, food, extramural activities, entertainment etc.  The thought of all these things times two or times three makes my palms sweat.

Jerry’s school offers a discount for families who have more than four children at the school.  MORE than FOUR CHILDREN!!! You must be out of your tree!!

My Jerry has pretty much everything that her heart desires (although she probably has a list of things as long as her arm to prove me wrong).  And this includes on all levels: emotionally, physically, mentally etc.  She can quite happily sneak a night in Mom and Dad’s bed which wouldn’t happen if there were more kidlets.  She gets more carried, tickled, played with, humoured, laughed with(at), clothed, fed, disciplined, chased, cuddled, and just generally included in ALL family activities than any other child I know.  So were we just being selfish in our decision not to have more?

I think not!  Seriously.

But back to yon large woman with five hungry kidlets.  I consciously made the decision not to have more children because I KNEW there was a possibility that I may not have the resources to care for them.  It’s not difficult: you either can afford lots of children or you can’t.  Does the well-fed woman wonder what she could have done with her life .......... other than become a very big baby factory?

It isn’t made any easier by a government that throw money at women each time they reproduce and therefore these women somehow think that having more children equates having more money.  It’s desperately sad that my sister (a teacher) sees many girls leaving school before completion each year because they’re pregnant because their Moms sent them out to get pregnant in order to get the government grant.  What a waste of a life!

So possibly it IS the social responsibility of everyone not to overcrowd our, already flagging, economy with dozens of children.  And I’m not advocating the rather objectionable Chinese custom of “one child per family, or else” – give folk a choice.  But communities would fare a lot better if they made informed decisions based on forethought and planning rather than just hormones.

Ok, I’ll jump off my soap box ... for now.

Happy Day! J

Comments

  1. I'm so completely with you on this subject. We also chose to have only one child and I also chose to forgo a proper career for a half day job to spend more time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you....mother of 3!!
    What was I thinking...yes it is lovely to have 3,but financially you must be able to manage it and you as a mom need to be fully committed to being a mom.
    I often look at my friends with one and wonder just how different our life would be if we only had BB and I could not imagine it any other way.
    We work damn hard for our 3 girls so we can all have a good life and we can afford to give them what they all need.
    But I do understand that many just jump on the 'baby train' without for a second considering the loooong term commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have made the same decision. We can only afford one child and we will not bring another one into this world until such time as we can afford it comfortably - and maybe still not even then, because it then becomes about what we have to give emotionally as well. Great post! *Lunar*

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a personal decision ...
    Both hubby and I have always wanted a bigger than normal family but we were fully aware of the consequences and what would be required from us both emotionally and financially.
    Being pregnant now with my third we see clearly that I cannot work a full-time job and still give my children the kind of attention and quality time that they fully deserve ... so we have basically decided that I most likely will not be returning to work after baby arrives (unless current company will let me work half days).

    We are lucky I know cos hubby has a great job and while it will definitely be a struggle for a while and luckily our kids are not in school yet, but once he gets a better post (which he is aiming to do with this new qualification) we should be fine. We won't have the most expensive cars and clothes, but they will have the things they really need i.e. lots of love, time and attention from mummy, good educations and a loving stable home.

    PS. Glad you fixed the commenting thing ... all my comments on your previous posts just vanished :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Heading Backwards Going Forwards

Driving Me Crazy

Life, Love and Exercise