The Folk Around Us


I’m a blatant voyeur.  I can sit/stand for hours in a public place just watching people.  I frequent the social networks and, of course, Blogland just to get a tiny glimpse into people’s lives.  People fascinate me and I love to see what makes them tick and try and understand what type of people they are.  A bit unfair of me, I know, as I personally abhor it when anyone tries to categorise me into any type of social “box”.  But some folks are just so predictable and easy to square away into a certain character.

Now that I travel a little further to work than before I get to peek at my fellow drivers.

There’s the captain of the glee-club. She looks like an overenthusiastic puppy and happily waves everyone into the lane in front of her.  It’s a surprise she ever gets where she’s going.  Her car is full of all the appropriate charity stickers and she smiles, cries and laughs out loud at whatever is happening on the radio and is perfectly happy in her little bubble.

There’s the typical hot-headed young fella who drives very fast and takes chances.  It clearly makes him feel quite important to be able to get one whole car length in front of you.  He has spent more money than most on his car, more than likely to impress his peers but doesn’t realise that the frustration he’s oozing is simply because he should try more to be himself and make himself happy than “keep up with the Joneses”.

There’s the typical taxi.  Twisted chasis, dents, scrapes and loose exhaust pipe.  The passengers bodies sit staring whilst their minds escape to elsewhere.  The driver hangs his arm out of the window like a primate asleep on a branch with its arm hanging down.  He alternates between racing ahead only to come to a dead stop every 100m.  He tries to intimidate his way through the traffic but thanks anyone who gives way, graciously.

There’s the young working girl who still sports a faded curly “L” on the back window of her financed car.  She sits very low in her seat, up against her steering wheel and stretches her neck to see over her dashboard.  She clutches her steering wheel oblivious to all around her.  Occasionally you will need to hoot to remind her to drive because her obvious terror of driving renders her mind blank from time to time.  She should consider an advanced driving course .......... or maybe five advanced driving courses.

There’s the middle-aged grump – both men and women fall into this category.  They scowl so hard it’s a wonder their windscreens don’t crack.  They look straight ahead with a stony expression and won’t allow you to pull into the lane in front of them even if your car’s indicator has been flashing for the last kilometre.  They’re unhappy within themselves, they’re pissed off with the world and feel that it’s their basic human right to be grumpy (usually their cars are a little elderly, unwashed and a little bumped and scraped – just like they feel).

And me?  I’m the woman in the yellow Beetle. I drive through the traffic singing/dancing/headbanging to the music on my phone and put my make-up on when the robot is red.  I do NOT tolerate bad driving or taxi intimidation and I’m rather an aggressive driver.  I move over for motor cycles and I hoot and shout and flash my lights at people that don’t stop at stop-streets (and NO, I don’t believe a bump-and-go or second gearing it through means you’re stopping).  Other than that I offer a genuine smile when people allow a gap in the traffic – so there.  What category do I fall into?

Next time you’re out in the traffic look around – I’m sure you’ll find folk just like this.  And let me know if I’ve missed anyone.

Happy Day! J

Comments

  1. What about the middle aged people in their big 4x4's? That is most definitely also a type completely of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes! How could I POSSIBLY forget about the 4x4 tribe. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm right next to you on the "singing/dancing/headbanging to the music", "put my make-up on when" in the queue before the tunnel. "I’m rather an aggressive driver." maybe more than you :) "I move over for motor cycles" and "I offer a genuine smile" and wave "when people allow a gap in the traffic"


    Oh and I love speeding *guilty grin* BUT (and here follows the justifications) I do it in a SAFE manner!

    If there's two of us, we should be classifiable right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love speeding but my Dragon rattles so badly if I go over 80 that I'm in danger of my ears vibrating off. :-D

      Delete
  3. lol great post! I vary between the Old Grumps and Glee Club Capt! lol Depending on the verociousness of PMS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha- in my family, a Beetle is a 'punch car'- when we seen one, we shout "PUNCH BUGGY YELLOW", and tap each other lightly- Beetle drivers must think us crazy, as whenever they drive past, there's a flurry of shouting andd punching (in a gentle, loving way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee Hee - the kidlets at Jerry's school also call Beetles Punch Buggies. Much fun and excitement, of course, 'cos they can usually hear us coming. :-)

      Delete
  5. Yellow beetle??? SO cool :-)

    I think I'm a cross between the glee club girl and you ;-) Though I have a penchant for mild road rage when it comes to taxis and drivers that drive inconsiderately (you know those that fill up the intersection so when the light is green for you you can't cross???) and those that don't indicate! My car is the only place where I swear like a sailor! :-) Hubby says I need to calm down ... he's so zen when he drives its mildly infuriating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, my husband also reckons I'm gonna have a stroke one day, the way I get so cross when I'm driving. :-D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Heading Backwards Going Forwards

Driving Me Crazy

Life, Love and Exercise