Of Driving Rain and Driving Habits


Last week I had occasion to drive to Alberton.  I used the highways because, although it may not be the most direct route, it is certainly the most sensible.  (‘k, you can stop laughing now – I can be sensible if I try!)

On the day of my big Alberton adventure Gauteng saw rain of Biblical proportions accompanied by wind gusting up to 65km/h.  Driving rain and gusting wind saw my little Dragon wafting all over the road (as only a Beetle can) to the extent that 80km/h was the absolute maximum I was able to travel at without taking off and flying through the rain clouds.

And I became exasperated at the folk that leapt into my following distance.  Only someone with the brain capacity of a gnat would do something so completely stupid.  Surely, if I leave a gap between myself and the vehicle in front of me, it’s because I know my car and how long it takes to stop ... in the rain ... ?!?!?

But of all the peculiar habits I saw the Gauteng road-users displaying – and there were many – one particular incident stands out as the most amazing.  I was already on my way home from work and the rain had started to clear a little but the roads were still very water-logged.

Driving along a relatively narrow, oak-tree-lined street, I suddenly became aware of a luminous yellow jelly bean (along the lines of a Cheri or a baby Chev) wandering across the centre line and driving straight at my Dragon.  Panic!  Would I rather connect head on with a 15m oak or a teeny car?  If I drove up the next driveway I may be able to get out of the way before our cars collided?!?!?!

I then noticed that the jelly bean was gradually slowing down (it wasn’t going too quickly to start off with) and I became aware of a line of very frustrated cars behind said jelly bean.  “Sjoe!”, thought I “At least it isn’t going to be a very bad bang.”  By now I had stopped and I was frantically flashing my lights in an effort to get the driver’s attention.

By now she (yes, I could just make out a young female behind the wheel wearing a wild, deer-in-the-headlights expression) had manoeuvred her vehicle almost completely into the lane of oncoming traffic ... aka me!  And just as the rapidly aging line of cars behind her attempted to pass her vehicle on the left had side she suddenly, without warning or indicator, turned into a driveway on her left.

I have three observations: 1. She should not be driving ...... at all ...... ever! 2. Clearly a Code 10 doesn’t prepare one for Code 08 driving ability. 3. She shouldn’t be allowed to reproduce.

Happy Day! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heading Backwards Going Forwards

Driving Me Crazy

Life, Love and Exercise