What Monday Threw At Me

Mondays! I love them! Genuinely. A chance to start a new week, a new adventure, to try again. And this particular one happened to be the first Monday back at work after a month’s holiday. Not only a new day and new week but a new year!! Yay! But this Monday had it in for me, or possibly had decided to try and knock me off my smile.

Started quite early too. For some insane reason I couldn’t fit Jerry’s bicycle into my car – it’s fitted before, many times – but today it wouldn’t, for love or money, fit into the little yellow dragon. Then my Gorgeous Séan wore a very puzzled look on his beak whilst asking what time I expect to return home. I patiently explained that I finish work at 16h45 to which he exclaimed in astonishment “Oh, I didn’t know you were going back to work today, I thought you were still on leave!!!” Hmmmm - ♫♪♫ I talk to the trees ♪♫♪ ’cos at least they listen sometimes ......

After having dropped Jerry at her play date things were going quite smoothly until, upon arriving at a red robot, the driver’s door on the BMW in front of me opened and a miniscule Indian lady climbed out. She opened the passenger door and slammed it closed again and then climbed back into her car after waving at me coyly .......... then she stalled her car and spent the next four light changes trying to remember how to restart it. Sjoe!!

By now I was rather hot under the collar. Trying to fit the pink bike into the yellow dragon had made me slightly late and the last thing I wanted was to be late for work on my first day back.

Enter the dreaded road pest. You know the type? She drives a little red jelly bean with a large red “L” on her back window. She wears a deer-in-the-headlights expression and grips her steering wheel like she’s hanging onto the edge of a cliff. Going anything over 30km per hour raises a sweat on her top lip and the car shimmies into a little speed wobble causing her to brake sharply and reduce her speed once again. Any slower and she’d be going backwards .......... and all this is done in a wavering pattern along the middle line preventing anyone from passing.

The day itself passed well enough. I had my boss sitting in my ear dictating merrily from 9:30am until just after five. I then tore off to collect my Jerry – one doesn’t want one’s child to impose in any way on other people. It’s just the way I was raised.

But Monday decided to get one last dig in.

As I rounded a slow bend one of my knitting needles slid off the seat next to me. No problem – I’d retrieve it at the next red robot. Not gonna happen, though, hey? Said knitting needle had managed to escape into the door well and my fingers, although hardly sausage-like, were too big to squeeze in. Poo! NOW what was I supposed to do on my drive home from work??? But still I refuse to be beaten. Still dig Mondays. Always will. Hope yours was a lekker one.

Happy Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heading Backwards Going Forwards

Driving Me Crazy

Life, Love and Exercise