Coffee at it's Worst

After having decided to treat myself with a post-payday-Friday indulgence I attended one of the coffee shops in Sandton City.  My experience was nasty and this is the letter I've just written to the head office.  If I don't receive an appropriate response I shall be blazoning their name all over social media.


"I had a very unpleasant experience at your Sandton City branch this morning and thought I should bring it to your attention in order to hopefully prevent other customers from experiencing similar situations.



Upon arriving at the counter there were four staff in attendance.  The one lady, the cashier, looked at me and then walked away and started talking to the other lady.  After a while she walked back but seemed to be very involved with the cash till.  Eventually she looked straight past me and asked me how I was.  I am still waiting for a smile or an appropriate “good morning”.


I placed my order: a cappuccino and a muffin.  I had to ask twice what type of muffins were available.  The other lady packaged a muffin and handed it to me with a smile.  One side of the bag that contained the muffin was wet.  I noted that the lady who had served me the muffin was wearing plastic gloves so I made every effort to convince myself with the fact that the wet spot on the bag was something innocuous.


After an exceptionally long time spent pushing buttons on the cash till the cashier mumbled some or another amount In my general direction.  I handed her a bank card and an old loyalty card I’d had forever.  She passed the loyalty card back and said “We don’t take these here.  You must look on our website.”  As to what I would find on the website remains a mystery. 




The cashier handed me back my bank card without asking for a pin code.  I assume she tapped my card on the machine.  I believe it would be good business practice to ask permission from a customer to make use of the tap and go feature on their bank card instead of just assuming that it would be alright to do whatever is easier.


As the cashier handed my card back to me she loudly snorted a large amount of snot into the back of her throat.  Not only did I no longer feel like consuming my coffee and muffin anymore but was in serious danger of hoiking up the non-existent contents of my stomach. 




I walked across to wait for my coffee.  After a little while a gentleman behind the counter greeted me (finally – a greeting from somebody at the establishment).  I greeted him back.  He looked puzzled and asked the cashier what I was standing waiting for.  She barked some or another word at him which he apparently understood.  I received my cappuccino with a smile and a somewhat redeeming explanation as to what sweetening options were available for my beverage.




I think the cashier could do with some additional training in hospitality, good business practice and basic etiquette and manners."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heading Backwards Going Forwards

Driving Me Crazy

Life, Love and Exercise